Coaching sessions are an opportunity for participants to receive training and support on critical topics that is flexible enough to respond to their current needs. Coaching sessions can involve one or several workers, and may be delivered in person, on the phone or by other real time collaboration (face-time, etc). Preferably, they allow material to be understood within a context of an actual case, and completion of current work.
This coaching session opportunity for staff will aim at compliance with ICWA, give recommendations for working with Tribes and Tribal families, revisit the Federal Act, State ICW codes and current policies/procedures when ICWA applies or is being considered.
This session will revisit current practices in CA, specialized units and steps available for staff, including tailored topics such as:
- Initial Intake (ICW Procedures at initial contact)
- Tribal/State Agreements
- Inquiry and Verification of Child’s Indian Status
- Disclosure of Confidential Records/Information to Tribes
- Child Protective Services for Indian Children
- Casework Activities for Court Proceedings – forms Legal Notice, FamLink Response from NAIR eLearning, Monthly Progress report,
- Indian Child Placement Preferences and Relative Search
- Interstate Compact on the Placement of Indian Children
- Local Indian Child Welfare Advisory Committees
- Payments for Services for Children in Tribal Care or Custody
- Casework Services for Children and Families of Non-Federally Recognized Tribes and Canadian First Nations
All DCYF staff working with ICWA. From initial contact Caseworkers to On-going or permanent workers, line staff to administrators.
How to request coaching sessions
Coaching sessions can be scheduled in 30 minute increments, depending on the topic being covered. Coaching is available via individual sessions, small group sessions such as at unit meetings, or large group settings such as All Staff meetings. Once a request is made, the Alliance Indian Child Welfare Statewide Lead & Curriculum Developer will reach out to schedule your customized coaching appointment. Once completed, the coaching session will be entered into LMS Maestro so the worker's training record will reflect completed coaching.
Please direct all questions and requests to Indian Child Welfare Statewide Lead & Curriculum Developer Francis Cacalda at email@example.com.