This training is for licensed and unlicensed caregivers and relative / kinship providers to support LGTBQ+ youth in their care.
Research shows that lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer/questioning and two spirit (LGBTQ+) youth are overrepresented in the foster care system. LGBTQ+ youth in out of home care face additional challenges such as discrimination, stigma and bullying. LGBTQ+ children/youth feel unsafe and face rejection from their families, schools and community. Many times, LGBTQ+ youth do not have access to appropriate health care and mental health resources.
This eLearning course was developed from Connecting, a prevention-focused program specifically for foster parents and relative caregivers, and teens in out of home care. Connecting was created using input and advice from social workers, caregivers, and LGBTQ+ foster youth.
This eLearning will provide caregivers an overview of the:
- Myths and stereotypes about LGBTQ+ children/youth and will provide facts and realities;
- Fundamental facts and terms about LGBTQ+ children/youth;
- Provide opportunities for activities for caregivers and children/youth;
- Address safety issues and develop plans for children/youth safety; and
- Learn how to promote the health, safety and well-being of the children/youth in care.
This eLearning will allow the caregiver to complete activities on their own as well as together with the LGBTQ+ children/youth in their care.
- Click on the blue "Go to eLearning" button below
- When the course page appears, click on the "Launch" button
For assistance with profiles or passwords, you may contact our Help Desk by emailing email@example.com.
DCYF staff can register for Connecting: Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity & Expression (SOGIE) through the Washington State Learning Center (WSLC). For help with WSLC, please contact DCYF.LearningCenter@dcyf.wa.gov.
Other workforce members can click the button below to take the eLearning course. You will need to create a training profile account if you do not already have one. Use this if you are CWTAP, Tribal Workers, Private Agency, and Judicial Personnel (incl. CASA/GAL). For help with this webform, please contact Alliance Support via firstname.lastname@example.org.