This training is for licensed and unlicensed caregivers and relative / kinship providers to support LGTBQ+ youth in their care.
Research shows that lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer/questioning and two spirit (LGBTQ+) youth are overrepresented in the foster care system. LGBTQ+ youth in out of home care face additional challenges such as discrimination, stigma and bullying. LGBTQ+ children/youth feel unsafe and face rejection from their families, schools and community. Many times, LGBTQ+ youth do not have access to appropriate health care and mental health resources.
This eLearning course was developed from Connecting, a prevention-focused program specifically for foster parents and relative caregivers, and teens in out of home care. Connecting was created using input and advice from social workers, caregivers, and LGBTQ+ foster youth.
This eLearning will provide caregivers an overview of the:
- Myths and stereotypes about LGBTQ+ children/youth and will provide facts and realities;
- Fundamental facts and terms about LGBTQ+ children/youth;
- Provide opportunities for activities for caregivers and children/youth;
- Address safety issues and develop plans for children/youth safety; and
- Learn how to promote the health, safety and well-being of the children/youth in care.
This eLearning will allow the caregiver to complete activities on their own as well as together with the LGBTQ+ children/youth in their care.
Social Workers, Caregivers
- Click on the blue "Go to eLearning" button below
- When the course page appears, click on the "Launch" button
For assistance with profiles or passwords, you may contact our Help Desk by emailing email@example.com.
In the LMS, search for the course by typing (or copying) the full course name below. Click the Scheduled Classes button. Select the class that is best for you and follow the LMS registration instructions.
DCYF Alliance Connecting: Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity & Expression (SOGIE)
Tribal Workers, CWTAP Students, and new DCYF hires who don't have LMS access: Please register using this form https://allianceforchildwelfare.org/rct-registration-cwtap-students-and-tribal-workers
Maestro Course Code: 110623